Thursday, May 31, 2012

Being Employed

So, I had a pretty rough day at work today. Not only was I told to be quiet in the meetings even though I had useful and relevant points to make, but I was also unfairly told to change the way I dress...again. That is all a very long story, but basically, because I tend to dress like a guy, I can't get away with as much as the other girls can in the office who tend to dress more "feminine." They can wear short dresses and skirts, but I can't wear dress shorts that come down past my knees. Anyway, when I was totally pissed about this after work, I realized how negative I was feeling. I was mad because they aren't taking advantage of my skills and complaining about things I did which were completely irrelevant to the grand scheme of things. I'm sure many, if not most people who head home from work in the evenings have the same complaints about the way they're treated at work.

According to CBS report in 2010, "a new survey that found only 45 percent of Americans are satisfied with their work" and this has changed since 2008 when "49 percent of those surveyed reported satisfaction with their jobs." http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-201_162-6056611.html

However, as I've been trying to look on the brighter side of things, I remember that until very recently, I didn't have a job at all. This recession has been hard on a lot of people, and if I may say so as a matter of personal opinion, especially difficult on those students who have just graduated from college. It took 3 months of interning (with no pay) and another 3 months of volunteering at the same location before my boss finally gave in and started paying me full time. Even now, I'm not considered an actual "employee". I have no benefits. No health insurance, no dental insurance, and nothing left to put into savings. If something bad did happen (God forbid) I would be shit out of luck. Still, I am getting paid full-time. I thought it would never happen. I can pay my bills and rent (well sort of). I didn't have to move back in with my parents. I have a purpose every day. And so many people do not- especially in this recession. Many of my friends had to move home straight out of college. Many of them wanted to go to grad school but are afraid that because they don't qualify for FAFSA they will never be able to pay back their college loans. I know that a good percentage of the population out of work isn't students- part of the reason my generation can't find a job is because the baby boomers suddenly realized they can no longer survive off the money they wanted to retire on. Everyone of every age and generation is hurting right now.

This could be me...

But I have a job. It could be so much worse. Every day that I have a job is a good day. It's a day I was blessed by my God. And if I lose this job, at least now I have some work experience to put down on my resumé. God smiled at me when I got out of college. I cried on and off for months in frustration and I finally started getting paid. Once again, every day I have a job is a good day. Every day that I have a job, I am blessed.

Today, I believe because I am employed.

No comments:

Post a Comment